Completion list suggestion

Erlend Hamberg ehamberg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 10:53:29 UTC 2009

Dear KDevelop deveopers,

I have a suggestion for the completion feature in Kate/KDvelop.
I just discussed this with Christoph Cullmann and he agreed that it was a good
idea and suggested talking to you guys, as he wasn't too familiar with the
completion list code.

What I suggested was that completion would work in the following way:

1) Press ctrl+space (or another key combo) -- completion list pops up.
2) Pressing ctrl+space again, with the completion list still showing
highlights the first item, pressing it again highlights the second, and so on,
until it wraps around.

[Ideally, I would like the second, thind, fourth, ... ctrl+space click to
actually complete the word to the first, second, third, ... option so the user
can keep typing without ever having to hit enter to make the completion.
This would mean that people used to the "old" way could still hit ctrl+space,
use the arrows and then hit enter, so it wouldn't break any usage patterns.]

Any comments? Would that be hard to do?

--
Erlend Hamberg
ehamberg at gmail.com