KDevelop 4.0 Release

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Sep 8 21:20:43 UTC 2008

On 08.09.08 18:35:32, Evgeniy Ivanov wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> As for me (DVCS) I think I can be ready with git and hg good support and
> basic bzr
> before feature freeze. After September 15-20 I will have enough time for
> hg and some optimization for all dvcs support.

Please put your feature ideas/plans into our wiki. We have a page
dedicated specially for the more "general" tasks for 4.0 and I'd like us
to keep that page updated so we know where we currently are and so that
we can plan better.

Apart from that, you're always welcome to create wishlist and bugreports
in bugzilla to keep track of your ideas/plans on a more detailed level
than the feature plan above. At least thats what I try to do.

Obviously both the above needs us all to go through the lists every once
in a while and check what is open and should/could be addressed.
Unfortunately it seems like Matt didn't manage to enable bugzilla's
tracking-support, so we can't really assign reports to a particular
planned release :(

> Also I would suggest to make some presentation (maybe just in blog)
> about KDevelop4. Screenshots (small videos?) about all important
> features. There are a lot of questions about code completion, building
> projects, etc, so let's show what we have.

We've been doing blogs in the past, especially on major new stuff and
obviously we're going to have a proper release announcement - maybe even
something for the first beta, similar to KOffice. Producing a few
screenshots is no big deal for me, but I've got 0 experience with
screencasts, especially I don't have a microphone so I can't easily
produce ones with sound. Having a mute screencast is only partly useful
IMHO as you can't explain what you're doing...

> This can be a stupid idea... Some projects like to give pretty names for
> releases. And we... Just KDevelop4. Maybe "High hopes"?

Well, you can't know that - unless you dig through the archives and
manage to find some old irc logs - but we tried the "invent cool names
for stuff" and kind of failed at that. I know for publicity its nice to
have sounding names, but unless the marketing team can help us there I
think we should just stick to KDevelop + version number.

Go to a movie tonight.  Darkness becomes you.