KDevelop 4.0 Release

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Tue Sep 9 07:34:28 UTC 2008

On Monday 08 September 2008 04:58:49 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yes its that time of the year again, while KDE 4.1 has "just" been
> released that Release team decided that a KDE 4.2 release happening
> earlier would be good (reasoning is to release KDE 4.3 earlier so it
> happens before akademy next year). Details on the release plans can be
> found here:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.2_Release_Schedule
> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.3_Release_Schedule
>
> If you look at the 4.2 plan closely you'll notice that it gives us not
> even 2 months of feature-development (provided that we put all our stuff
> into the feature plan before that).
>
> The question I have is: Do we feel we can make that for our 4.0 release,
> without having to tell everybody that "yeah, 4.0 is kind of an
> early-adopters release, so expect a lot of bugs and missing features".

I think we can make a reasonable go of it.  I don't think it will be
everything that kdevelop 3.x is, because we're still a way off that, but I
don't think it has to be either.

In terms of stability, we have the extra time after the feature freeze to get
that right, and we're doing pretty well as it is (afaik there are no more
editor crash bugs remaining, just possibly some minor misbehaviours).

Of course we wouldn't guarantee API compatibility with this release, so we'd
probably do well to call the platform a 0.1 release, so we can release
kdevplatform 1.0 when we feel the api is ready.

Cheers,
Hamish.