KDevelop 4.0 Release

Manuel Breugelmans mbr.nxi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 23:00:13 UTC 2008

On Sunday 07 September 2008 20:58:49 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yes its that time of the year again, while KDE 4.1 has "just" been
> released that Release team decided that a KDE 4.2 release happening
> earlier would be good (reasoning is to release KDE 4.3 earlier so it
> happens before akademy next year). Details on the release plans can be
> found here:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.2_Release_Schedule
> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.3_Release_Schedule
>
> If you look at the 4.2 plan closely you'll notice that it gives us not
> even 2 months of feature-development (provided that we put all our stuff
> into the feature plan before that).
>
> The question I have is: Do we feel we can make that for our 4.0 release,
> without having to tell everybody that "yeah, 4.0 is kind of an
> early-adopters release, so expect a lot of bugs and missing features".

I'm going to have to go with the flow here, release is definitely a good idea.
That being said calling it 4.0 would be a mistake, it just misses way too much
stuff at the moment. I'd say make it a beta, but a granite one ;-)

Is it actually necessary to follow KDE release schedules? I mean for
knewsticker this makes sense but imo KDevelop is important enough to release
in parallel ... That way we could have multiple successive betas as soon as
KDE 4.2 is out.

Needed before a release is possible:
- DUChain robustness; still too much Q_ASSERT(bucket _size) for me. It's
unacceptable to require 'rm -rf ~/.kdevduchain' all the time
- Couple of cmake showstoppers
- Cleanup and extension of New App wizard, this is what new users are going to
try ... should work flawlessly
- Better 'new file' support! I find myself using the integrated konsole for
this.
- List of plugins that are (i) tested (ii) usable (iii) being used. Anything
that doesn't qualify on those criteria should not be shipped, imo.

Maybe it'd be good to have a set of use cases / user stories and focus on
completing those.

Manuel