KDevelop 4.0 Release

Aleix aleixpol at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 20:54:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:42 PM, David Nolden <zwabel at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 7. September 2008 20:58:49 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > Hi,
> >
> > yes its that time of the year again, while KDE 4.1 has "just" been
> > released that Release team decided that a KDE 4.2 release happening
> > earlier would be good (reasoning is to release KDE 4.3 earlier so it
> > happens before akademy next year). Details on the release plans can be
> > found here:
> >
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.2_Release_Schedule
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.3_Release_Schedule
> >
> > If you look at the 4.2 plan closely you'll notice that it gives us not
> > even 2 months of feature-development (provided that we put all our stuff
> > into the feature plan before that).
> >
> > The question I have is: Do we feel we can make that for our 4.0 release,
> > without having to tell everybody that "yeah, 4.0 is kind of an
> > early-adopters release, so expect a lot of bugs and missing features".
>
> KDevelop4 has become quite stable. But personally, I want KDevelop 4.0 be a
> really stable release, where all the stuff you generally need is there, and
> that doesn't have any reproducible crashes.
>
> What I'd like to have in KDevelop4:
> - Faster CMake parsing, or even better disk-caching of the results

I'm not really sure being faster on project loading should be a big concern
for the .0 release (I'd better prefer to have it fully working, which is
mostly for now).
Said that, saving the ProjectItemModel's tree might not be that hard...

> - Documentation integration(So code-completion and navigation can integrate
> with it, and can show documentation for Qt)
> - Stable integrated debugger
> - Stable SVN support
> - Nothing in the UI that makes KDevelop crash, stable split-view stuff
> - Stable multiple main-window support(Or disable it in the UI for the
> release)
> - Generally no half-working features
> - Enough performance in C++ support to do full-project parsing
>
> I think the C++ support will be good in that time-frame.
>
> But I'm worried about stuff like vcs support, debugger, etc. If we don't
> get
> stuff stable, it either shouldn't be in the release, or we should release
> later. They need to be stable, and _tested_ for a real 4.0 release.
>
> Also we've got to consider that people will expect KDevelop 4.0 to have a
> similar feature set like KDevelop 3.4, so we should consider calling
> it "KDevLite" or something like that when too much stuff is missing while
> some useful releasable parts are stable.
>
> Greetings, David

I would add as well incremental parsing for c++ since you said it would be
straightforward and it is a pitty when you are writing and have to wait for
the editor to write it down.

gdb support is a main concern by now. I don't know which is the state, but
if it is not working we shouldn't release.

In general terms, though, I'd like to see a KDevelop 4.0 release. I think
that by now KDevelop4 is better than KDevelop3 as for c++ developing and we
need a release to show of the world what are we up to.

Bye!
Aleix