KDevelop 4.0 Release

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 7 21:22:21 UTC 2008

Am Sonntag, 7. September 2008 22:54:48 schrieb Aleix:
> > What I'd like to have in KDevelop4:
> > - Faster CMake parsing, or even better disk-caching of the results
>
> I'm not really sure being faster on project loading should be a big concern
> for the .0 release (I'd better prefer to have it fully working, which is
> mostly for now).
> Said that, saving the ProjectItemModel's tree might not be that hard...

Well, the problem is that we can have multiple projects, currently I have 4
loaded, I always have to wait for it. But KDevelop4 in its base, especially
the whole cpp support stuff including quickopen etc., nearly do not need
_any_ load time to be functional. Since we're competing with Eclipse, we
could make that a big advantage: A development-environment that is
light-weight with nearly instant startup time.

I would like KDevelop4 to be light-weight, like a much more powerful drop-in
replacement for kate, where the user doesn't have to think whether he wants
to take the overhead of firing it up.

> I would add as well incremental parsing for c++ since you said it would be
> straightforward and it is a pitty when you are writing and have to wait for
> the editor to write it down.

I have that problem in focus. However incremental parsing would just be a
workaround, and isn't directly related to the problem. First the real problem
will be fixed(short GUI lockups due to thread locking stuff), then the
parsing will be made more efficient, and then comes incremental parsing, in
that priority order.

Greetings, David