Default for the Buildset widget

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Sat Sep 6 03:24:04 UTC 2008

On Saturday 06 September 2008 08:53:04 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> apparently we have a small problem :( Manuel today comitted a change to
> the project treeview hiding the buildset widget by default. I reverted
> that change and he and myself had a conversation about this.
>
> Unfortunately we two can just agree to disagree, which means we should
> get input from some more people. So here's the deal (and I hope despite
> me having an opposite opinion I represent Manuel's arguments properly).
>
> IMHO the buildset widget should be shown by default in the project
> treeview to make sure people realize its there. In the past I've seen
> various people starting with KDevelop3 and having difficulties to find
> certain features that we devs use all day. Actually this is not limited
> to KDevelop3, I'm seeing the same thing every day at work with Eclipse.
>
> When the buildset widget is hidden its IMHO barely visible, its just a
> small toolview that easily gets missed in all the GUI - especially with
> files open.
>
> Manuel OTOH thinks basically the opposite, that the green arrow is
> visible enough and that the widget being hidden doesn't mean people will
> run to our user list and IRC channel and ask us a dozen times/day how to
> build. Or blog about how KDevelop4 makes it hard to build individual
> targets.

I would tend to agree with Andreas here.  Less user questions easily outweighs
having to click once to hide the buildset stuff.

BTW, I would actually like a separate mode where you just select the active
target (like in kdev3) because that's the way I use the buildset stuff at the
moment anyway.

> Now what bothers me, Manuel and probably others as well is that you have
> to close the widget every single time you restart kdevelop. This is a
> technical problem that will be solved sooner or later (hi adymo, where's
> that next ui library?), so I think this argument is simply a temporary
> thing.

Yes, this needs to be solved, and will make the question of default a very
minor one IMHO.

> I'd be ok if we manage to make the buildset widget occupy less vertical
> space by default, i.e. the tableview just using space for 2 rows instead
> of the 4 or 5 it has space for right now. Not sure how thats done best.
> I'd also be ok with making the text smaller in the table-view, or other
> such changes.

Also a good idea.

Cheers,
Hamish.