KDevelop: General direction and UI - don't worry

Manuel Breugelmans mbr.nxi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 07:19:50 UTC 2008

On Monday 03 November 2008 23:33:38 David Nolden wrote:
> Am Montag, 3. November 2008 21:23:12 schrieb Alexander Dymo:
> > I'd personally expect the finished KDevelop4 to
> > 1) start fast
> > 2) open any kde/cmake project from the directory on my disk without much
> > question
> > 3) load that project as fast as possible
> > 4) compile it and compile parts of it
> > 5) set a breakpoint, launch debugger and stop on it
> > 6) give me code completion
> > 7) rename class/method without much effort from my side
> > 8) check in and out my project from any modern VCS
> > etc.
> > etc.
>
> I completely forgot to respond to these technical aspects. In general you
> have quite well matches exactly what I wish too.
>
> So let's see where we are:
> 1 - Is the case

Depends, I can heavily influence start time by increasing open files. From boot
to both kdevelop + kdevplatform projects loaded takes 4 seconds with zero
files, 10 seconds with 30 (cpp) files opened. That's too much of a difference.
Both numbers are from a hot state, boot from cold is actually quite a bit
slower :(

I'd say overall boot time is worth looking at. More so since this is really
the very first impression ... personally I strongly dislike firefox'es slowness.
When you ask people why they use konqueror most will say: 'but it starts sooo
fast'.

> 2 - Not perfect yet, but in general is working
> 3 - I've already discussed with aleix how to achieve that by caching the
> cmake results in the duchain, and actually this has relatively high
> priority for me, since I'm tired of waiting for the project to be loaded.
> So I hope we'll have something soon here.

With all the recent performance improvements cmake project loading is actually
fast, definitely fast enough for me. On my laptop it now takes _2_ seconds for
a full project (re)load of either kdevelop or kdevplatform. That's imo within
the acceptable boundary. This laptop is a run-of-the-mill dual core macbook,
no super duper machine ;)