KDevelop: General direction and UI - don't worry

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 5 09:09:04 UTC 2008

Am Mittwoch, 5. November 2008 08:19:50 schrieb Manuel Breugelmans:
> > 2 - Not perfect yet, but in general is working
> > 3 - I've already discussed with aleix how to achieve that by caching the
> > cmake results in the duchain, and actually this has relatively high
> > priority for me, since I'm tired of waiting for the project to be loaded.
> > So I hope we'll have something soon here.
>
> With all the recent performance improvements cmake project loading is
> actually fast, definitely fast enough for me. On my laptop it now takes _2_
> seconds for a full project (re)load of either kdevelop or kdevplatform.
> That's imo within the acceptable boundary. This laptop is a run-of-the-mill
> dual core macbook, no super duper machine ;)
On my faster machine, kdevplatform takes about 4 or 5 seconds, and kdevelop
about 10. That is actually something I can live with, but there is people who
work on even bigger projects. Consider kdelibs. Loading this project still
takes a considerable amount of time, and this cannot be fixed alone by making
the parser faster, because there is a lower bound for the speed.

And apart from that we have sessions. At some point I would like to have
kdevplatform, kdevelop, and kdelibs open in my "KDE" session, and it should
still be loaded instantly, instead of slowly having them pop up one by one.
With caching, this would be possible.

Greetings, David