KDevelop: General direction and UI - don't worry

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 4 00:34:09 UTC 2008

Am Dienstag, 4. November 2008 01:23:45 schrieb Robert Knight:
> Usable for whom?  Are you targeting people who work day-in/day-out
> with Eclipse and Visual Studio and are very comfortable with them?  In
> that case they probably won't mind a largish number of menus as long
> as they are well organized and easy to navigate (it isn't just a
> numbers game).  Are you targeting heavy Emacs and Vim users? In that
> case minimizing UI clutter and maximizing keyboard-navigability and
> very fast startup should be your highest priorities.  Are you
> targeting developers new to the KDE/Qt platforms and possibly
> programming in general?  In that case the startup/project creation
> experience will probably be very important, as will reducing the
> amount of widgets, dockers and other "stuff" on screen.  You obviously
> don't have the resources to target every one of those groups - it
> would be nice for us as users to know who you're gunning for and who
> should wait or use something else.
Why shouldn't it be possible to aim at the middle? In the coding and
navigation area, I'm making everything nicely keyboard-accessible. In the UI
Area, we can supply the needed features, but keep the initial count of
dockers low with only the really important stuff, the advanced users can add
whatever they need more above that. We should _not_ simplify the UI down to a
level where we start crippling the power-user experience, but there's still a
lot of room up to that point.

We're also aiming at a very fast startup, even without really caring at all
what IDE or text-editor the users used before. KDevelop will be a good
development-environment in its own right.

Greetings, David