Feature list for 4.0

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed May 28 05:22:25 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 28 May 2008 08:58:41 David Nolden wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 May 2008 06:37:46 Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > 5. C++ support. I think there are few things to be added to
> >    reach usable feature parity with other IDEs:
> >
> > 	- Outline of the current class/quick open of method
> > 	in current class. Presently, there's no easy way
> > 	to do this.
> Have you tried CTRL+ALT+N? It does quickopen for all functions in the current
> file.

I did not, I'll try it as soon as my KDevelop rebuilds.
At any case, I'd suggest to rename "Navigate function declarations" to something more
apparent.

> > 	- Find all uses of a symbol. Build call graph (which
> > 	functions call this one)
> We already have the "find all uses" thing in the navigation widgets, but we
> need to build uses for whole projects. I hope that'll working well after SOC.

This should be actually a shortcut that can be used right on a symbol. In fact,
I think right now the navigation widgets are a bit overloaded with features. Say,
in Eclipse the "open type" dialog just has the list of types, and it is sufficient
in most cases. Can we have the display of all details optional?

> When that's done, we can very easily implement a lot of fun features like
> call-graphs(Some of them will also come during SOC).
>
> > 	- Mark methods that override parent once. Implement
> > 	a dialog to selectively override some parent methods.
>
> I plan to do that using the code-completion widget.

Howe can we use that, if there's nothing to complete yet -- you're going to
add 5 new methods :-)

> I have some nice
> coding-assistant ideas similar to this that I will probably implement within
> the next months.
>
> About finishing the debugger: It would be great if attaching to a running
> process would work again, that's my main use case for the debugger.

Well, I'd expect it to work. But I'll check after my rebuild finished.

- Volodya