Feature list for 4.0

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed May 28 12:19:21 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 28 May 2008 16:13:58 David Nolden wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 May 2008 07:22:25 you wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 May 2008 08:58:41 David Nolden wrote:
> > > Have you tried CTRL+ALT+N? It does quickopen for all functions in the
> > > current file.
> >
> > I did not, I'll try it as soon as my KDevelop rebuilds.
> > At any case, I'd suggest to rename "Navigate function declarations" to
> > something more apparent.
>
> Yep maybe "navigate local declarations".

Well, "Navigate" is not very obvious. How about just "Outline"?

> It's anyway not finished yet, I think
> I will also add normal declarations and the scope to that list, so you simply
> have a list of all declarations within the file that you can navigate using
> quickopen.

> > > We already have the "find all uses" thing in the navigation widgets, but
> > > we need to build uses for whole projects. I hope that'll working well
> > > after SOC.
> >
> > This should be actually a shortcut that can be used right on a symbol. In
> > fact, I think right now the navigation widgets are a bit overloaded with
> > features. Say, in Eclipse the "open type" dialog just has the list of
> > types, and it is sufficient in most cases. Can we have the display of all
> > details optional?
>
> Hmm? The navigation widget just shows just about everything the duchain knows
> about the type. Yep, we should add more direct ways of accessing that
> information at some point. Maybe there should just be an item "jump to uses"
> that opens a more suitable dialog. But first I'm planning to make sure the
> information is always there. ;)
>
> What do you mean by "just the list of types"?

I mean that if you invoke "Open Type" command in Eclipse, you see a list of types,
that can be filtered. There's no details shown for any type.

> > > When that's done, we can very easily implement a lot of fun features like
> > > call-graphs(Some of them will also come during SOC).

> > > I plan to do that using the code-completion widget.
> >
> > Howe can we use that, if there's nothing to complete yet -- you're going to
> > add 5 new methods :-)
>
> Ok maybe I don't understand this ;)
>
> What I thought is: When you're in a class-body and press the code-completion
> button, it shows you at the top a list of all abstract functions from parent
> classes that are not implemented yet, and then a list of all virtual
> functions from parent classes that are not overridden yet.
>
> When you execute an item from the completion-list, kdevelop would create a
> complete declaration for the overloaded function.
>
> All in all, I'd like to implement most of the assisting features with as few
> dialogs as possible, to achieve a good workflow.

This might work. Or it might be confusing -- invoking code completion on empty
space might seem confusing. Let's see.

> > Well, I'd expect it to work. But I'll check after my rebuild finished.
>
> Ah I didn't check my gdb version, but since I'm using opensuse 11.0 beta, it
> should be something recent.

Gosh, something messed up with my KDevelop4 build; I'll check what's with attach,
but probably not today.

> What happened

Did you mean to write something more here?

- Volodya