Starting application on specific screen

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Sat Mar 29 09:30:17 UTC 2008

On Saturday 29 March 2008 12:05:31 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 29.03.08 11:51:52, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > suppose I have a dual-screen configuration (XRandr 1.2) and
> > would like to start an application on a specific screen. Is there
> > an easy way to do that in Qt4/KDE4?
>
> That means you have the same desktop stretched over both screens? The
> code to do that would simply be putting the window at a proper x/y
> position (using QWidget::move()). There's also QDesktopWidget, which
> knows how many screens you have and how large they are so thats where
> you can probably find the right coordinates.

Thanks. Though it seems I would be duplicating the job of the window
manager, which generally figures out where to put the new window.

> If you need to do it without code, then I suggest to use KWin's "special
> window behaviour stuff". Right-click the titlebar and choose "Advanced",
> there you can choose either "special settings for this window" or
> program. There you can set its position to a fixed place.

I wonder if it's possible to ask the window manager to place new
window on a specific screen programmatically. If not, I guess I
can juse use QDesktopWidget and pick a position at random :-)

Thanks,
Volodya