Starting application on specific screen

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Mar 29 11:07:02 UTC 2008

On 29.03.08 12:30:17, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Saturday 29 March 2008 12:05:31 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 29.03.08 11:51:52, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > > suppose I have a dual-screen configuration (XRandr 1.2) and
> > > would like to start an application on a specific screen. Is there
> > > an easy way to do that in Qt4/KDE4?
> >
> > That means you have the same desktop stretched over both screens? The
> > code to do that would simply be putting the window at a proper x/y
> > position (using QWidget::move()). There's also QDesktopWidget, which
> > knows how many screens you have and how large they are so thats where
> > you can probably find the right coordinates.
>
> Thanks. Though it seems I would be duplicating the job of the window
> manager, which generally figures out where to put the new window.

I thought I had seen an option for this in kwin's configuration, but now
I can only find one to either show new windows on the screen with the
mouse or show them where the currently focussed window is.

There's also a KWindowManager class (name may be a bit different) in
kdelibs, which provides access to some window manager stuff. IIRC.

Also you might want to ask in kwin at kde.org instead.

You will be awarded a medal for disregarding safety in saving someone.