Feature list for 4.0

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jun 18 06:25:14 UTC 2008

On 18.06.08 12:14:57, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 June 2008 11:58:03 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > (You do NOT want to know how far behind in messages I am ATM :-(.)
> >
> > Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > I'v finally finished the collection of feature ideas (and also "bugs")
> > > that should be done before we can release KDevelop 4.0.
> > >
> > > Please everybody have a look at
> > >
> > > http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=KDevelop_4/Feature_Plan
> > >
> > > If anybody wants to discuss any of the items and wether they really need
> > > to be done for 4.0, please do so here or directly in the wiki - whatever
> > > fits you better.
> >
> > grep: where are you? I can't find the find+grep integration anywhere
>

> Same as kdev3, it's edit->find in files, or ctrl+alt+f.  if you can't see it,
> your plugin loading is broken and you should look into why your syscoa can't
> see them.

It does have quite some bugs though and still works the same as in kdev3
which means it doesn't know anything about multiple projects and other
stuff.

> > :-(. (Seems I also have a broken build ATM so I can't even start
> >
> > kdevelop to go see if I'm merely blind.)
> >
> > ctags: I miss this *most* from 3.x. For quick navigation, it was
> > indispensable. Either I missed the "scan my entire project" button for
> > Quick Open, or it only covers the open files or current folder or
> > something. But it only shows a fraction of the functions in my whole
> > project.
>
> We're working hard on the quick open stuff.  It doesn't work across the whole
> project because the persistent duchain is not written... patience needed here.

We talked in Munich about ctags and came to the conclusion that we
should consider it a language plugin (when someone has time to do it,
probably post 4.0) so that it integrates with the normal
quick-open,code-completion etc.

> > file tree: I'd really like this back, please :-). I've been making do,
> > more or less, with the project view, but that adds several levels of
> > indentation to all files, so that I have to make it wider just to read
> > the file names.
>

> View-> add toolview -> file system.  Yes, I think our new tool view management
> system is a problem, it's too hidden and with inadequate defaults.

Last I checked the code area by default has the filesystem view. The
view itself might get replaced by something from kdelibs (namely
KDirOperator)

> > MEMORY USAGE has gotten *waaay* out of hand. The newfangled code parsing
> > stuff is shiny, but needs 1.4 GB for *three files opened*?! To quote Ed
> > Harris*, "Gentlemen, that's unacceptable". I've already had to switch
> > computers because of /3.x/'s memory hogging... I thought Linux was
> > supposed to disobey Wirth's Corollary :-).
>
> Will improve much with persistent duchain and other optimisations, come back
> after SoC (that is, I presume you were already using svn head?)

Hmm, I only have 1GB here, so I doubt its using 1.4GB for just 3 files
opened. I already had much more files opened. Of course it also depends
on the files contents as we currently store all the language information
in memory.

Excellent day to have a rotten day.