Feature list for 4.0

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Wed Jun 18 02:14:57 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wednesday 18 June 2008 11:58:03 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> (You do NOT want to know how far behind in messages I am ATM :-(.)
>
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > I'v finally finished the collection of feature ideas (and also "bugs")
> > that should be done before we can release KDevelop 4.0.
> >
> > Please everybody have a look at
> >
> > http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=KDevelop_4/Feature_Plan
> >
> > If anybody wants to discuss any of the items and wether they really need
> > to be done for 4.0, please do so here or directly in the wiki - whatever
> > fits you better.
>
> grep: where are you? I can't find the find+grep integration anywhere

Same as kdev3, it's edit->find in files, or ctrl+alt+f.  if you can't see it,
your plugin loading is broken and you should look into why your syscoa can't
see them.

> :-(. (Seems I also have a broken build ATM so I can't even start
>
> kdevelop to go see if I'm merely blind.)
>
> ctags: I miss this *most* from 3.x. For quick navigation, it was
> indispensable. Either I missed the "scan my entire project" button for
> Quick Open, or it only covers the open files or current folder or
> something. But it only shows a fraction of the functions in my whole
> project.

We're working hard on the quick open stuff.  It doesn't work across the whole
project because the persistent duchain is not written... patience needed here.

> file tree: I'd really like this back, please :-). I've been making do,
> more or less, with the project view, but that adds several levels of
> indentation to all files, so that I have to make it wider just to read
> the file names.

View-> add toolview -> file system.  Yes, I think our new tool view management
system is a problem, it's too hidden and with inadequate defaults.

> MEMORY USAGE has gotten *waaay* out of hand. The newfangled code parsing
> stuff is shiny, but needs 1.4 GB for *three files opened*?! To quote Ed
> Harris*, "Gentlemen, that's unacceptable". I've already had to switch
> computers because of /3.x/'s memory hogging... I thought Linux was
> supposed to disobey Wirth's Corollary :-).

Will improve much with persistent duchain and other optimisations, come back
after SoC (that is, I presume you were already using svn head?)

Cheers,
Hamish.