Language Issues

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzerf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 10:39:38 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 09 July 2008 11:10:01 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 09.07.08 01:56:20, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:

Hi,

> > - Be careful what you write
> >    I also found a few strings where the author was not sure what to put there yet.
> >    Putting stuff like "bla bla bla" or "Nothing to see here" might be ok for developers
> >    but these strings are also extracted to po files and distributed to a bunch of
> >    translators. Some of them keep track of changes early and thus have to deal with
> >    stuff like that.
>
> Would you mind sending those authors a electronic kick in the ass
> please. Its completely braindead to do that and then check the code into
> svn.

I do not want to kick asses. :)
@Vladimir:
It is just as good to ignore as auto away messages and test mails on mailing lists.
Translators have to look into strings from a variety of subject areas. He has to
look into the application or source code to determine if "Nothing to see here" is
part of the application or just a temporary placeholder. Such strings remain "fuzzy".
Consider fuzzies like FIXMEs in your code and somebody puts FIXMEs all over your
code with just useless stuff once in a while. Try to ignore those. :)

> >    Is it possible to skip the i18n() in those cases and put a // FIXME there as a
> >    reminder for later?
>
> Either that or fix the places. If you can come up with a list of places
> I can try to fix them. Or even better, put that into a bugreport :) With
> high severity please.

I will do some work for all the issues the next days.

Regards