Proposal for GSoC, want to get your opinions

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Feb 26 06:50:35 UTC 2008

On 26.02.08 00:19:51, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Monday, 25. February 2008, Evgeniy Ivanov wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I have an idea to implement git support. Has this proposal a chance to be
> > applied? I have some another ideas, but I like this much more than others.
> > I will be glad to get any answers.
>
> Will this task be enough to warrant 2-3 months of work?

Depending on the students pre-knowledge I think yes. Its not just about
writing a parser for the git output and calling git from inside
KDevelop. We're going to need some UI as well and that can get complex
for a DVCS. We don't even have basic stuff like branching and tagging
for the existing VCS, especially no UI.

Its also not quite clear wether our existing interfaces are properly
designed for a DVCS (I sure hope so, but without a backend its hard to
tell for sure), so there might be design work and discussion needed as
well...

Last but not least: You can always extend the SoC project if you see the
student moves along fast. Given my experience last year that makes more
sense than stuffing a hundred things into the project and at the end
having to admit that there were only 30% achieved or something like
that...

While you recently had your problems on the run, they've regrouped and
are making another attack.