Wishlist

Tomasz Kalkosiński tomasz2k at poczta.onet.pl
Fri Apr 25 08:54:40 UTC 2008

Hey

>> 1. would it be possible to reimplement GhostDoc for KDevelop? : http://www.roland-weigelt.de/ghostdoc/
>>    It's amazing plug-in, and it's free. Maybe its autor would like to share a code?
>>    It has some advantages e.g. insert base comment for inherited comment or generate comment automatically.
>
> This can surely be done, but we're trying to ship a lean and mean C++
> IDE, so this would probably not go into kdevelop itself but be provided
> as additional plugin.

Ok.

>> 2. some way to view STL containters (and STL string) properly and easy - Vladimir, poeple will sing songs about you if you do it :) I know Microsoft has done it properly on VS .NET but I don't know how.
>
> It looks like this will be done directly in gdb (by allowing scripts in
> gdb) and we "just" need to provide some default scripts and a gui.

That would be great improvement.

>> 3. Alt-Tab implementation to switch open windows in recently used order stack. It's one that is missing from other IDEs. Many developers work years with Alt-Tab so there should be implemented. There are details on behaviuor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-Tab
>
> Alt-Tab is a window-manager shortcut that KDevelop won't change (at
> least not by default). We decided that we do need a history and when
> thats implemented you'll get shortcuts for it too. Also you can have
> this to a certain extent already in KDevelop3, check the configure
> shortcuts dialog for next/previous stuff under the kdevelop group.

I know history in KDev3 and I use it but it's different then Alt-Tab. When I wrote Alt-Tab I've meant behaviour at all. I'm looking forward for implementation, thanks!

>> 4. colors need to be fixed in some way. I mean there should be colors for class-variables, local variables, one for methods. For now on KDev4 seems to randomly assign colors to variables.
>
> It doesn't assign them randomly. In fact it assigns them based on the
> language. We do miss configurability currently, but thats not an easy
> task as there are a lot of things that can be highlighted in KDev4
> (highlighting also includes underline, bold face, background changes)

Thanks for explanation.

>> 5. Are shortcuts grouped in schemas? Maybe we should ship "Redmond" shortcut schema? TBH first thing I've done was to re-configure debug keys to F5-F12 just like I've worked with Microsoft products for years.
>
> Patch submitted to kde-core-devel, awaits objections. But we won't ship
> more than one scheme, which however will provide more sane shortcuts for
> debugging. The problem currently is simply that kate uses almost all of
> the F-Keys.

I didn't know about this patch. Yes, users can submit late their schemas too.

>> 6. document outline - I don't mean class view. I mean something like all folded regions put into tree wihtout contents.
>
> Would you provide a use-case please?

When you have 1000 line source file surrounded with //BEGIN //END regions and methods inside you can see outline of it. After all it's much like class outline so it's minor.

>> 7. mouse-over tooltips with type, declaration, comment
>
> Possible, just needs somebody to do it.

Good.

>> 9. "collapse to definitions" collapses all definitions, methods etc. redundantly down
>
> Collapse where? In the editor you can do this by using the folding
> border from kate.

Yes but you have to collapse every region by yourself. With a shortcut you can achive something like this: http://integralpath.blogs.com/thinkingoutloud/WindowsLiveWriter/VisualStudioRegionsarelikeicebergs_7EA1/image%7B0%7D%5B1%5D_1.png to view it cleanly.

Kate doesn't know about what is definition region and what is other region. Kdevelop should help.

>> 10. "collapse everything" collapses every region redundantly down. Currently it only collapses top level regions, while inner regions are expanded.
>
> see above.

This comes to Kate part I guess. Problem is collapse top level collapses only top level, not levels below.

>> 11. "follow editor" to class definitions, file trees etc. options
>
> This already exists for the class browser. (not sure about the file tree
> view). In general this will not be a default because it means "random
> jumps" in parts of the GUI which is confusing unless you're used to it.

I know, I just couldn't find it in KDev4 so far.

>> 12. "highlight" option. When I put my mouse on variable - every occurance of it shines. I'd just like to have option to "lock this hilight" (also hilight another etc.).
>
> Probably possible, not sure of the usefulness though.

It could be :)

>> 13. ctrl+space pops up completion. I'd like to have a "pop up prototype for this method". It's annoying when you're on third argument, prototype popup is gone, you go back to left parenthisis and ctrl+space again just to know what's the type of third argument.
>
> Thats a bug - IMHO. Ctrl+Space should always show argument hints when
> you're after a backspace inside a function call.

Not really a bug. Scenario might be like this:
this->Send
    ctrl+space - popup (ONE) occurs SendMessage or SendError to choose from
    you select SendMessage
this->SendMessage (
    popup tells your 2 arguments: std::string text, int logLevel
    you type:
this->SendMessage (this->
    ctrl+space - popup (TWO) apprears telling you to choose this->GetMessage
    you select GetMessage
this->SendMessage (this->GetMessage (
    popup (THREE) appears telling you to fill argument int index
    you type:
this->SendMessage (this->GetMessage (3),
    popup ONE usually isn't there no more, you don't know what's the second argument of SendMessage. That's when I think you should have "show prototype".

>> 14. killing-feature (I don't know if even possible) - "this header is unused". Java and Resharper for .NET knows when some include/using/package is unused and they color it to grey, but I know they don't operate on C++ so I don't know if it's possible for this one.
>
> In theory it is, that is C++ has the knowledge to do that. However this
> is rather low on our priority list I think.

Good to hear it's possible anyway.

Thanks for answers Andreas.

Greetings,
Tomasz Kalkosiński