GDB Load Symbols & Wishes

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Apr 3 16:53:46 UTC 2008

On 03.04.08 12:06:28, Clarke, Jason, RBSGC wrote:
> A summary of the following thread;

Please no html to this list.

> 1.) Is there any way to add a progress bar for gdb when it's doing
> something, for example loading symbols when attaching to a process?

No, gdb just comes back with the result - AFAIK, so a progress bar
doesn't make much sense. A busy indicator might be good though.

> 2.)  From what I've gleaned GDB is quite slow with multithreaded
> applications, due to lack of caching of symbols/stacks. My suggestion
> (if possible) to help things, is to do shallow queries in objects in the
> locals window until that object is expanded. Is there ability in the GDB
> api to do so? E.g. if you have an object on the stack and you step
> through some code, it should only display that objects address, and not
> deep query it, until explicitly clicking expand like "plus".

I'll leave that one to volodya.

Note however that KDevelop4 has a threaded debugger, which should make
the ui more responsive - AFAIK.

Be cheerful while you are alive.
		-- Phathotep, 24th Century B.C.