GDB Load Symbols & Wishes

Clarke, Jason, RBSGC Jason.Clarke at rbsgc.com
Thu Apr 3 16:06:28 UTC 2008

A summary of the following thread;

http://www.kdevelop.org/phorum5/read.php?9,31735

1.) Is there any way to add a progress bar for gdb when it's doing
something, for example loading symbols when attaching to a process?
2.)  From what I've gleaned GDB is quite slow with multithreaded
applications, due to lack of caching of symbols/stacks. My suggestion
(if possible) to help things, is to do shallow queries in objects in the
locals window until that object is expanded. Is there ability in the GDB
api to do so? E.g. if you have an object on the stack and you step
through some code, it should only display that objects address, and not
deep query it, until explicitly clicking expand like "plus".

if you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized
to retain, read, copy or disseminate this message or any part of
it.