[RFC] KDev4 Ui

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Nov 14 17:43:57 UTC 2007

On 14.11.07 18:03:27, David Nolden wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 November 2007 15:54:12 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Working filesets cut down only if you don't need the other 15 files, but
> > what if you do?
>
> The question is, whether you need ALL 40 files at the same time!
>
> And I think, you never do. If you have them open at the same time, they are
> automatically so unaccessible that it's only slightly better than not having
> them open at all(see quickopen :) ).

As you know I completely disagree with this. Navigation among 20 files
is no problem using quickopen. Of course using tabs and the
next-tab/prev-tab switching doesn't work because files are too far away.

> So you could have one "look" and one "work" set. Since kdevelop-4 will
> allow multiple main-windows, don't we already have implicitly
> something similar to working-sets? You could open an additional
> main-window in which you do all the lookup, understanding, searching,
> etc.

Well, multiple mainwindows might not work too well on single-head
desktops.

About the "close-files-I've-only-read" feature, that truely sounds like
a good idea. But has not much to do with the navigation among multiple
files, maybe you usually work in only 1 file, but I find myself
currently working on at least 4 files "at once", with another 3 open for
reference and additionally about 6 tabs on a konqueror window for
API reference. Those last 6 would ideally also be among the "open files"
list, inside KDevelop.

Good day for a change of scene.  Repaper the bedroom wall.