[RFC] KDev4 Ui

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 14 17:03:27 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 November 2007 15:54:12 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Working filesets cut down only if you don't need the other 15 files, but
> what if you do?

The question is, whether you need ALL 40 files at the same time!

And I think, you never do. If you have them open at the same time, they are
automatically so unaccessible that it's only slightly better than not having
them open at all(see quickopen :) ). So you could have one "look" and
one "work" set. Since kdevelop-4 will allow multiple main-windows, don't we
already have implicitly something similar to working-sets? You could open an
additional main-window in which you do all the lookup, understanding,
searching, etc. and have another main-window where you do the real work. But
with real working-sets, you could do everything within one main window, and
once you feel that you need to see both sets at the same time, you could open
an additional main-window with the other set. It would just make the thing
more manageable.

But to come back to the core problematic:
Once you have 40 files open, you are most probably at a point where you worked
at one point, and to understand it jumped to 39 other points using
code-navigation or whatever, so you will have 39 "nearly useless" files. I
personally usually just close ALL tabs in such a situation(just for
frustration), and re-open what I was working on using quickopen. We need a
nice way to close those files.

One option would be marking all files that have been opened during
code-navigation and not edited, so they can all be closed automatically at
the same time, and maybe grouped together in the document-view under a single
category "Navigated". But highlighting might help too. :)

greetings, David