REMINDER: Final review of VCS interfaces

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed May 23 17:37:45 UTC 2007

On 23.05.07 12:06:25, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 23.05.07 04:06:12, dukju ahn wrote:
> >> 1.
> >> Svn has "svn switch" and "svn switch --relocate"
> >> There descriptions are
> >
> > This is (AFAIK) not available in other VCS so it has to stay in the
> > plugin and a possible ISubversion.
>
> Right, no such thing in perforce, and I'm not even sure about CVS.

CVS and something like switch? Forget about ;) I know my CVS usage is
kind of outdated but I really wonder how open source people could live
with that system for such a long time :)

> >> 2.
> >> I guess the file annoation (or blame in svn) is missing in our ifaces.
> >
> > IIRC that was dropped because its not portable across VCS either.
>
> perforce client has it, the server may or may not, but I don't know
> about all VCS's (I'm really freaking tempted to /write/ one the hard way
> with e.g. diff()). Should we have IAnnotatingVC?

Hmm, given that CVS also has this I think we should add it. I can't
recall, but I guess this was dropped in the early theoretic discussions.

Also CVS does this only on local files too, I'm tempted to but it into
IBasicVC and take it local files only (remote stuff can be done in
IFooVcs), unless somebody knows a VCS that doesn't have annotate
(eclipse has this too in its classes, IIRC, which suggests that quite a
bunch have this feature).

A quick google search turns up that clearcase and git have this too.

About return value: cvs and svn can return revision, date and author,
does that fit into one of the classes used for change/log?

Oh and a last one: does perforce support specifying a revision? CVS, svn
and git support that, clearcase seems to not support it (at least
there's no option for that). Does it make sense that the plugin ignores
the revision if it the system doesn't support that? Or is that too much
magic behind the scenes?

Adnreas

> --
> Matthew
> "I can hear you / just barely hear you / I can just barely hear you"
>    -- "I Can Hear You", by They Might Be Giants

The time is right to make new friends.