REMINDER: Final review of VCS interfaces

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 23 19:01:05 UTC 2007

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 23.05.07 12:06:25, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>> IIRC that was dropped because its not portable across VCS either.
>> perforce client has it, the server may or may not, but I don't know
>> about all VCS's (I'm really freaking tempted to /write/ one the hard way
>> with e.g. diff()). Should we have IAnnotatingVC?
>
> Hmm, given that CVS also has this I think we should add it. I can't
> recall, but I guess this was dropped in the early theoretic discussions.

It can of course fail in perforce (no server support) but that would
happen no matter what, the point is the client supports it so...

> Also CVS does this only on local files too, I'm tempted to but it into
> IBasicVC and take it local files only (remote stuff can be done in
> IFooVcs), unless somebody knows a VCS that doesn't have annotate
> (eclipse has this too in its classes, IIRC, which suggests that quite a
> bunch have this feature).

Sounds OK to me. Want me to write it?

> About return value: cvs and svn can return revision, date and author,
> does that fit into one of the classes used for change/log?

If you mean for change()/log(), these return VcsEvent, which has user,
date, revision and revision-per-file (also other stuff like message). Or
did you mean for annotate()?

> Oh and a last one: does perforce support specifying a revision? CVS, svn
> and git support that, clearcase seems to not support it (at least
> there's no option for that). Does it make sense that the plugin ignores
> the revision if it the system doesn't support that? Or is that too much
> magic behind the scenes?

What function(s) are you asking about? If a VCS might ignore something
it should be documented (we already have some of that in log()).

--
Matthew
"I can hear you / just barely hear you / I can just barely hear you"