[RFC] Context-Menu Handling in KDevelop4

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Tue May 8 16:28:50 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007, David Nolden wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 May 2007 12:04:37 Jens Herden wrote:
> > > I'm not sure yet how to trigger this, but ideally I'd like to get a
> > > QList<QAction*> from each plugin and eventually a QString. Then the
> > > context menu will have an entry with the QString that has as a submenu
> > > the list of actions.
> >
> > Please consider the situation when you want only one action added to the
> > menu. In this case it would be not nice to create a submenu with exactly
> > one action.
> >
> > Jens
>
> It would be nice if the context-menu could(at least optionally) be build
> dynamically, considering what action-groups are used most often.

Forgive me, but this strikes me as ridiculous.  You really want to build your
GUI dynamically via some smart algorithm?  Can you even imagine how hard it
will be to coach new users through the program or put up a FAQ considering
that their GUI might be very different from yours based on their usage
patterns?

And forget the coding complexity of building a monstrosity like that.  You are
just asking for headaches IMHO.  OTOH, I'm not doing the coding so have
fun :)

> been triggered by connecting to the QAction's signals, and then use that
> statistical data to build a structure, where all groups could be put into
> sub-menus, and the most popular groups(for me it would probably be the

ROTFLMAO