[RFC] Context-Menu Handling in KDevelop4

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Tue May 8 12:49:06 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 14:12:03 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Sounds like a good idea, what I didn't invest time in yet is to find out
> wether Qt4 menu's are able to have scrolling arrows. I tried to do that
> with Qt3 and while it worked to some extent the drawing was pretty much
> broken. If we have this it would be really helping with this
> ordering-idea, because then we don't have to hide unused items in a
> separate submenu, but can just leave them at the bottom and the user can
> then scroll down the list.
>
> Andreas

Do you mean those scrolling-arrows similar to the Windows start-menu feature
where not-used applications are hidden? I don't think those are all that
good, because they take you the overview. Maybe you'll never notice useful
feature because you never see them. :)

Maybe it would be enough if the menu looked like this:

[content of most used action-groups]
------
[Submenu for Kate]
[Submenu for plugin A]
[Submenu for plugin B]

For me the editor-context-menu might then look like this:

Navigate by Foo (Navigation) ->
Rename class Foo (Refactoring)
Show difference to Head (Subversion)
Editing ->          //Cut, Copy, Paste etc.
File ->           Subversion ->
                     Teamwork ->
                     CMake ->
	             Difference To Disk
Navigation ->
Refactoring ->
Bookmarks ->
View ->

Another question is what exactly we want to show in the context-menu.. maybe
the whole File-submenu shouldn't even be there. This is all getting really
complicated, so I now give the word to someone else. :)

greetings, David