[RFC] Context-Menu Handling in KDevelop4

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Tue May 8 16:58:22 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 18:28:50 Adam Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 May 2007, David Nolden wrote:
> > It would be nice if the context-menu could(at least optionally) be build
> > dynamically, considering what action-groups are used most often.
>
> Forgive me, but this strikes me as ridiculous.  You really want to build
> your GUI dynamically via some smart algorithm?  Can you even imagine how
> hard it will be to coach new users through the program or put up a FAQ
> considering that their GUI might be very different from yours based on
> their usage patterns?

If you would have read my last post you would know that I proposed a menu that
was split into 2 parts: First a dynamic part that contains the content of the
most used action-groups, and second a static part that contains all available
actions(including the most-used ones) in a well-structured way.

So how should it be hard to coach someone? Explain him where to find things in
the static part!

> And forget the coding complexity of building a monstrosity like that.  You
> are just asking for headaches IMHO.  OTOH, I'm not doing the coding so have
> fun :)

Why monstrosity? I didn't know that mapping a string to a number was that
hard.

> > been triggered by connecting to the QAction's signals, and then use that
> > statistical data to build a structure, where all groups could be put into
> > sub-menus, and the most popular groups(for me it would probably be the
>
> ROTFLMAO

Sorry for being creative.. and thanks for quoting only half of the sentence so
it doesn't make any sense. Even if the word "statistical" sounds complicated
to you, this could be a very simple algorithm.

Also the dynamic part could be implemented later, the important thing would be
that the architecture would allow for the counting.

greetings, David