[KDev4] VCS Ifaces copy/move/update/log problem.

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri May 4 19:21:58 UTC 2007

On 04.05.07 13:32:29, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 04.05.07 13:31:11, dukju ahn wrote:
> >> 1. I've just found out that subversion doesn't support
> >> recursive/non-recursive selections for
> >> IBasicVC::copy(), move()
> >>
> >> In subversion, these two are always recursive. There is no flags
> >> to set recursive/non-recurse.
> >
> > Hmm, that is a problem indeed. You can't emulate that without loosing
> > history.
>
> I think the usual method is either to not copy the directories (i.e. do
> files one at a time)

Well, I thought about perforce here (in svn its always recursive) isn't
it possible to just copy a dir with the files in it to some other place?
If you want to do it on a per-file basis you first have to mkdir+add the
new dir, which means loosing some history. Although I guess its more
important to keep the file's history...

> > Matthew: any objections against making copy/move always work recursive
> > on a directory? Else we'd have to add a clear comment to the API that
> > move/copy might ignore the recursion parameter if the VCS doesn't
> > support it.
>
> Mails waving at each other as the pass, again. :-)

hehe

> No objection, and actually the ifaces already don't have a recursive
> parameter. Oh, wait... only in IRepoVC they don't. So, nuked in
> IBasicVC as well.

Fine.

> However... this brings up another omission, I think IRepoVC actually
> needs copy() and showCopy() because these are doing a commit() under the
> covers. Yes? No?

Doesn't it have copy() already? I thought so, well I agree here. And
copy() needs to take a commit message of course.

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.