[KDev4] VCS Integration

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Mar 14 19:56:54 UTC 2007

On 14.03.07 15:29:23, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 March 2007 15:08, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Well, having had a short look at the C-API that subversion provides I
> > think it may be a good idea to use an API that is a bit more high-level.
> > And using the RapidSVN c++ lib means an external dep too.
>
> Yes, high level library is good to have. But it's not really necessary to have
> dependency. kdesvn has a library called svnqt which I guess is their port
> of rapidsvn. We could have a copy of svnqt in our repository too.

Did that work good in KDev3? If not why should it work better in KDev4
(I mean having a full copy of a library inside KDevelop source tree).
Also I don't think this is a very good idea, because I think we should
ship svn+cvs plugin as part of our platform (else quanta users may need
to install kdevelop just to get svn support). And a full svn-qt lib in
our platform is not a good idea.

> If we will not have a copy of svnqt, we will most likely write our own qt/c++
> wrapper around svn anyway.

As I said in another thread already: Why do we need to re-invent the
wheel? We're short on manpower already, so we should try to re-use
existing libraries and code.

You will experience a strong urge to do good; but it will pass.