[KDev4] VCS Integration

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Mar 14 19:49:48 UTC 2007

On 14.03.07 11:36:40, dukju ahn wrote:
> 2007/3/14, Alexander Dymo <dymo at ukrpost.ua>:
> > On Wednesday 14 March 2007 15:08, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Well, having had a short look at the C-API that subversion provides I
> > > think it may be a good idea to use an API that is a bit more high-level.
> > > And using the RapidSVN c++ lib means an external dep too.
> >
> > Yes, high level library is good to have. But it's not really necessary to have
> > dependency. kdesvn has a library called svnqt which I guess is their port
> > of rapidsvn. We could have a copy of svnqt in our repository too.
> >
> > If we will not have a copy of svnqt, we will most likely write our own qt/c++
> > wrapper around svn anyway.
>
> But in my humble opinion, smaller is better. svnqt depends on rapidsvn c++
> which again depends on real subversion libs.
>
> Some people might think that subversion library is very low-level.
>
> But it is very flexible, fairly object-oriented, and portable. and
> well-documented.
> At first glance svn lib looks strange and difficult, but anyone can
> become familiar easily. There is some common pattern in this library.

I didn't look closely into the docs or code in the svn ioslave, but what
I did see at a first glance is a lot of code that converts from
svnlib-strings (not sure if they use char* or something else) into
QBytearray and a lot of C-API that looks quite ugly, at least to me.

> I already implemented logview using only svn native API and it is proved
> that subversion native API can be used inside KDev4 using thread.

Thats true for the other libraries as well.

> I don't feel any need to use wrapper around svn API. Maybe we can
> discuss later.

The reason is simply to not re-invent the weel. Other people have
already done the work, so why should we do it again.

I'd rather see a copy of svnqt in KDev4 than directly using the C-API of
svn. However I don't really see the problem with the dependecy on
libsvnqt. The only downside is some more overhead on loading the svn
plugin, AFAIK and that we have to communicate the dependecy to users
that compile from sources. However I think most users still use packages
for their distro which will work out the dependecies.

Anyway, I'd like to hear other problems that arise from having a
dependecy on kdesvn or its libsvnqt library.

Your mode of life will be changed for the better because of good news soon.