[KDev4] VCS Integration

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Wed Mar 14 22:10:58 UTC 2007

On Mar 14, 2007, at 2:56 PM, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> On 14.03.07 15:29:23, Alexander Dymo wrote:
>> On Wednesday 14 March 2007 15:08, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>> Well, having had a short look at the C-API that subversion
>>> provides I
>>> think it may be a good idea to use an API that is a bit more high-
>>> level.
>>> And using the RapidSVN c++ lib means an external dep too.
>>
>> Yes, high level library is good to have. But it's not really
>> necessary to have
>> dependency. kdesvn has a library called svnqt which I guess is
>> their port
>> of rapidsvn. We could have a copy of svnqt in our repository too.
>
> Did that work good in KDev3? If not why should it work better in KDev4
> (I mean having a full copy of a library inside KDevelop source tree).
> Also I don't think this is a very good idea, because I think we should
> ship svn+cvs plugin as part of our platform (else quanta users may
> need
> to install kdevelop just to get svn support). And a full svn-qt lib in
> our platform is not a good idea.
>
>> If we will not have a copy of svnqt, we will most likely write our
>> own qt/c++
>> wrapper around svn anyway.
>
> As I said in another thread already: Why do we need to re-invent the
> wheel? We're short on manpower already, so we should try to re-use
> existing libraries and code.

It's not reinventing the wheel because what's currently there doesn't
provide the functionality we need and changing what's there to
provide the functionality we need would be mean more time and effort
than just starting over. Not to mention that we have a new person
doing this anyways, so we're really only adding to the available
manpower. Let's also not forget that using svn's libraries is
probably the best technical solution for our needs.

Thanks
--
Matt