KDE/kdevelop/languages/cpp

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jun 26 12:54:24 UTC 2007

On 26.06.07 07:56:35, Kris Wong wrote:
> > Unless of course the include-path-resolver does more than just finding
> > the include-paths for a given dir.
>
> It looks for a Makefile in the source directory and runs an appropriate
> make command to get the include paths.

As I said to David already, this breaks with out-of-source builds or
buildsystems that don't use makefile "under the hood". So the argument
"getting include paths for non-project files" is more or less moot.

> > Also there currently is no build-system that returns include-paths.
> Another
> > question is how to reliably parse make-files to get the include-paths,
> in
> > many cases that might not be possible, for example with
> cmake-generated
> > makefiles.
>
> This gives the ability to have include paths for moving forward on cpp
> support w/o having to hard code something until the build managers are
> capable of returning this information.  Once we reach this point, we can
> easily re-evaluate wether this is necessary or not.

Did you talk to David? His answer is nearly the same and neither you nor
him did answer my question. I was just asking wether he or you knows of
stuff in cmake-generated (or other) Makefile's that can't be parsed and
interpreted by anything other than make itself.

You're definitely on their list.  The question to ask next is what list it is.