KDE/kdevelop/languages/cpp

Kris Wong wongk at seapine.com
Tue Jun 26 11:56:35 UTC 2007

>> Yes, with files that are not part of any project, and for debugging
>> the build-system include-path computing algorithms.

> I don't see how the include-path-resolver can help here. IIRC it was
> here, though not sure, that somebody posted a way to ask gcc for its
> standard include dirs. That can be done when editing files outside any
> project. After all thats all the paths you can find out about, without
> having the user give you some more paths.

Yes, someone posted something along these lines.  KDevelop 3 also does
this.  It is currently a TODO.

> Unless of course the include-path-resolver does more than just finding
> the include-paths for a given dir.

It looks for a Makefile in the source directory and runs an appropriate
make command to get the include paths.

> Also there currently is no build-system that returns include-paths.
Another
> question is how to reliably parse make-files to get the include-paths,
in
> many cases that might not be possible, for example with
cmake-generated
> makefiles.

This gives the ability to have include paths for moving forward on cpp
support w/o having to hard code something until the build managers are
capable of returning this information.  Once we reach this point, we can
easily re-evaluate wether this is necessary or not.

Kris Wong