[KDev4] status displayer

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Thu Jun 21 15:25:16 UTC 2007

On Thursday 21 June 2007 16:56:34 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Personally I think something like a status-bar would be useful, at least
> > something is needed to show for example the parsing-progress.
>
> Why? Seriously. The parsing is a background thing that - unless I'm
> mistaken - happens on file-open. I don't see the need to see a
> progressbar for this. I do agree we need a way to communicate some
> things to the user, but a transparent balloon is IMHO much better here
> because it takes away space only for a certain amount of time.

The problem is that the parsing influences what the user can do:

- Code-completion will only work correctly after a file and all it's includes
are parsed, which may take some time when there is many includes.

- Refactoring will only work after all files of the whole project are parsed

So the user should know about these progresses. Probably the status-bar isn't
the right place to show these progresses. Maybe a bubble that you could show
and hide on demand would be best for parsing a whole project, while for the
first a progress shown per-file directly within kdevelop would be best.

> Oh, and I just forgot: The progressbar for the parsing is eventually
> already existing, unless I'm mitaken ParseJob is a KJob subclass and
> thus kuiserver will display it. Maybe we can have a progresviewer for
> kdevelop-jobs as a plugin, then you'd see the progress of various things
> all in 1 place, that can be disabled if you want it (or moved to another
> screen/desktop).

But it really isn't very user-friendly having to open another application just
to see whether your project is parsed, that belongs into kdevelop.

There's also other statuses to be displayed: For example when you callaborate
on a file, you would maybe like to know about the connection-state, whether
the file is locked, etc. We need some way to display such information. When
there's no status-bar then we need another place suited to display such
stuff.

One thing comes into my mind that's really useful about the status-bar:
The line-number, I wouldn't want to miss that

> > It would also be great if there was some kind of filterable log
> > available, for debugging and also later for problem-reporting. A normal
> > user could copy-and-paste messages from the log and ask for help.
>
> We have the outputview for exactly that purpose.

That's great.

greetings, David