[KDev4] status displayer

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jun 21 14:56:34 UTC 2007

On 21.06.07 16:32:21, David Nolden wrote:

> > > I look at it all the time.  I have the "Show type evaluation in status
> > > bar" option turned on though.
> >
> > Well, everytime I need it to work it doesn't (and thus CC doesn't work
> > either). Thats my impression. Also  I don't really see the use-case, but
> > maybe thats because I have variables that explain what type they have...
>
> Then you should have reported your problems when that stuff was in
> development. For me CC works quite ok now, in about 95% of all cases in
> kdevelop-4 source.

Well, I more less accepted that CC fails sometimes so I saw no point in
reporting each and every case where CC failed. Also the above doesn't
mean its only working 1% of the time, it only means that often when I
want CC I end up looking into the apidox because it failed.

> > > It's also handy for the progress bar that
> > > is displayed when opening the project.  It gives me some indication that
> > > KDevelop is actually doing something while I wait for my project to
> > > open.
> >
> > Well, for me the progress bar doesn't work properly. There seem to be 2
> > progress bars "doing something" also. And kdevelop is usable before the
> > progress bar is finished. Also I suspected this to be the c++ parser,
> > but I don't see why it would run every time I open a project (where no
> > files are open!). Thats just completely useless, the "wait" mouse-cursor
> > is indicator enough that kdevelop does something (for me that is).
>
> Yes sometimes that progress-bar thing happens. See comment above. However I
> don't see what that has to do with kdevelop-4's status-displayer.

Well, if there's nothing usable to display, then we don't need the
statusbar in kdev4. And I personally don't see any usable (for me)
information in it.

> Personally I think something like a status-bar would be useful, at least
> something is needed to show for example the parsing-progress.

Why? Seriously. The parsing is a background thing that - unless I'm
mistaken - happens on file-open. I don't see the need to see a
progressbar for this. I do agree we need a way to communicate some
things to the user, but a transparent balloon is IMHO much better here
because it takes away space only for a certain amount of time.

Oh, and I just forgot: The progressbar for the parsing is eventually
already existing, unless I'm mitaken ParseJob is a KJob subclass and
thus kuiserver will display it. Maybe we can have a progresviewer for
kdevelop-jobs as a plugin, then you'd see the progress of various things
all in 1 place, that can be disabled if you want it (or moved to another
screen/desktop).

> It would also be great if there was some kind of filterable log available, for
> debugging and also later for problem-reporting. A normal user could
> copy-and-paste messages from the log and ask for help.

We have the outputview for exactly that purpose.

Beware the one behind you.