[KDev4] status displayer

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Thu Jun 21 14:32:21 UTC 2007

On Thursday 21 June 2007 15:53:56 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 21.06.07 09:24:47, Kris Wong wrote:
> > > I personally never even look at the statusbar, simply because its
> > > "too far away", I nearly have to move my head to see its content.
> >
> > I look at it all the time.  I have the "Show type evaluation in status
> > bar" option turned on though.
>
> Well, everytime I need it to work it doesn't (and thus CC doesn't work
> either). Thats my impression. Also  I don't really see the use-case, but
> maybe thats because I have variables that explain what type they have...

Then you should have reported your problems when that stuff was in
development. For me CC works quite ok now, in about 95% of all cases in
kdevelop-4 source.

> > It's also handy for the progress bar that
> > is displayed when opening the project.  It gives me some indication that
> > KDevelop is actually doing something while I wait for my project to
> > open.
>
> Well, for me the progress bar doesn't work properly. There seem to be 2
> progress bars "doing something" also. And kdevelop is usable before the
> progress bar is finished. Also I suspected this to be the c++ parser,
> but I don't see why it would run every time I open a project (where no
> files are open!). Thats just completely useless, the "wait" mouse-cursor
> is indicator enough that kdevelop does something (for me that is).

Yes sometimes that progress-bar thing happens. See comment above. However I
don't see what that has to do with kdevelop-4's status-displayer.

Personally I think something like a status-bar would be useful, at least
something is needed to show for example the parsing-progress.

It would also be great if there was some kind of filterable log available, for
debugging and also later for problem-reporting. A normal user could
copy-and-paste messages from the log and ask for help.

greetings, David