KDevelop UI

Roberto Raggi roberto at kdevelop.org
Sat Jul 21 13:31:20 UTC 2007

Hi!

Il giorno 20/lug/07, alle ore 14:31, Kris Wong ha scritto:

>> Yup, I'll be happy to do the merging work. :) /me 0wns svn. ;)
>> - - --
>> Matt
>>

> Have you guys tried this method before on this project?  Speaking from

not exactly but I remember that we developed KDevelop3 alpha 2 (or
3?!? whatever...) in separate branch and we managed to do it using
CVS!! At that time KDevelop was using a modified version of KDevelop2
SourceInfo as code model. SourceInfo wasn't good enough for real time
updating and it was crashing quite a bit, so we did KDevCodeModel,
Catalog and the KDevelop 3 class browser in the make_it_cool branch
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-commits&m=105958061606919&w=2). We
ported all the other programming language plug-ins and I remember
that Alexander implemented the resizable Combo Box (required for the
new class browser in the make_it_cool branch). We merged make_it_cool
in the main branch when make_it_cool was very *cool* ;-) New code
model, new real time class browser with 3 different views, and a lot
of other nice things :-). I also remember that the alpha (developed
in make_it_cool) was a very successful release and we had many many
developers using it.
Hamish implemented fast editor support for KDevelop in a topic branch
too (fast_editor_branch). We had a branch for KDevelop2 using Kate as
editor in KDEVELOP_2_2_BRANCH.

What I'm trying to say is: please don't use trunk for your
experimental code, use a separate branch for that. We already did it
and a lot of stuff we did in the make_it_cool branch is still used 4
years later in KDevelop 3.4. Writing from a *scratch* a new version
of the qmake project manager in /trunk is ridiculous, if you ask me.
You are lucky, SVN is (maybe?) better than CVS for branching/merging
and Matt really wants to maintain /trunk, so you don't have to care
about the boring part.

Matt, how about you write a little proposal with a possible new
KDevelop 4 commit/branch policy? then you can ask the active
developers to vote it. I'm not active, so I won't vote :-)

ciao robe