The name of this project is KDevelop

Alexander Dymo dymo at ukrpost.ua
Sun Jan 21 17:22:54 UTC 2007

First of all, I'm really sorry if my reply will sound harsh.
But after today's discussion at irc I don't think I can be
as polite as usual.

On Sunday 21 January 2007 18:31, Roberto Raggi wrote:
> I just want to say a few things. First of all the name of this project
> is KDevelop.
We know that.

> The name of the KDevelop Platform is (by definition)
> KDevelop Platform. I will be happy if in future we will have projects
> based on our platform, like eclipse has a lot of projects based on the
> eclipse Platform.
> If you don't like the name KDevelop Platform for the KDevelop Platform
> then we have a problem. It is sad but the problem has a very simple
> solution. We fork it. The interesting part is that I'm forking it, so I
> will probably have to use yet another name :-) We can say that the
> KDevelop Platform(at least the name) is pretty much dead. Isn't it
> funny?

Roberto, first of all I have to remind you that what you're saying here
can be summarized in one sentence:
"If you won't go my way, I'll go my way alone anyway".
I don't believe this is how free (and not only) sofware development work.
KDevelop project has a team and if you have ideas on the future
of the project you need to raise the discussion. And you know,
saying "I'll go my way anyway" doesn't help in discussions.

I supported you this week when you were talking about the
quality of our interfaces and actually put effort to discuss
the problems and started to solve them. But I will not support you today.

> In a few weeks I will be an *active* Open Source developer (again).
> It's just too bad I disagree to much with you guys :-) I will take a
> look at Alexander branch in the next few weeks. I hope he (and the
> other developers) will understand the value of the name KDevelop, but
> if nothing will change (e.g. KDevelop public api using the Koncrete
> namespace, or our library with 202 files, ...) then I will start the
> fork.

I think if you just explained us why we were wrong with the name "Koncrete"
and stated your proposals instead of stating that as an ultimatum,
we'd came to an agreement sooner than we can do now.

Also if you're not happy with the code, you'd better try to help me
in my rework. Actually I'm not going to remove any of that code,
I rather try to make it more structured and easy to understand/use.