Make target settings are behavior incompatible

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Jan 7 20:00:05 UTC 2007

On 07.01.07 21:23:18, Andras Mantia wrote:
> So  here I am, testing the current version. Unfortunately with
> my "strange" project, there are still some problems.

:(

> If the path for executable entered is not absolute, I get the
> extra "quanta" between the build dir and the path in the executable:
>
> /data/development/build/kde-3.5/kdewebdev/quanta/quanta/src/quanta
>
> So it still requires an absolute path there to work correctly.

Sorry, we can't fix that. Except you could use a path relative to your
project, not the source dir. The prolem here is "guessing", the AM now
uses builddir+(projectdir-sourcedir)+relativepath. (the difference means
the relative path between project dir and sourcedir, i.e "quanta" in
your case). Before it was builddir+relativepath and that could break
too.

> The url requester dialog starts from the right place now. :-)

Good.

> What is very nice is that F7 (Build Active Target) seems to work with
> this project and it even detects the dependency on the kdewebdev/lib
> directory, which is not in the project itself. Hm, only partly works,
> somehow the directory order used is not correct, and the build fails
> after a while. Here it tries to build
> quanta/components/debugger/libdebuggermanager.la before
> quanta/components/debugger/interfaces/libdebuggerinterface.la and this
> fails. Better than before, but still not 100% correct. It is not a
> regression, so I don't ask to fix now. ;-)

Thats not fixable by us, I think. I didn't look at the code, but this
should be using the order that is set via the Makefile.am dependecies.

> I also noticed other errors with this kind of project setup:
> 1) building a subdirectory (right click in the automake manager )
> doesn't work, I get the
> "/data/development/build/kde-3.5/kdewebdev
> There is no Makefile in this directory
> and no configure script for this project.
> Run automake & friends and configure first?"
>
> error. You know, there is a Makefile there. ;-)

Hmm, should be fixed later today, I'm working on it right now.

> 3) I have a custom make command to install used to avoid the password
> dialog. Running that for a subdir gives me the error:
>
> cd '/data/development/build/kde-3.5/kdewebdev/scripts' && UNSERMAKE="no"
> WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5="1" WANT_AUTOMAKE_1_6="1" sudo makeobj install
> /bin/sh: line 0: cd: /data/development/build/kde-3.5/kdewebdev/scripts:
> No such file or directory
>
> See the missing "quanta" directory between kdewebdev and scripts.

Same thing with 2 and 3.

> These errors were probably there in older KDevelop versions as well, but
> would be nice to see them fixed. Probably the problem is the same as it
> was for executing the active target when no main program was defined.

Yes, all the same problem.

You will be reincarnated as a toad; and you will be much happier.