Make target settings are behavior incompatible

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Jan 7 19:23:18 UTC 2007

On Sun Jan 7 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 07.01.07 15:26:57, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > > On 07.01.07 11:20:29, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > > :) Not a problem, but I thought you know as you seem to have used
> > >
> > > kdevelop for hacking on quanta where you'd use a custom makefile
> > > manager/
> >
> > Well, 3.5 it's automake based, why would I need a custom makefile
> > manager?
>
> I forgot the kde4 in there, at least the page on how to use kdevelop
> for KDE4 hacking was from you.

Yeah, but I'm still working on Quanta3 as well. ;-)

So  here I am, testing the current version. Unfortunately with
my "strange" project, there are still some problems.
If the path for executable entered is not absolute, I get the
extra "quanta" between the build dir and the path in the executable:

/data/development/build/kde-3.5/kdewebdev/quanta/quanta/src/quanta

So it still requires an absolute path there to work correctly.

The url requester dialog starts from the right place now. :-)

What is very nice is that F7 (Build Active Target) seems to work with
this project and it even detects the dependency on the kdewebdev/lib
directory, which is not in the project itself. Hm, only partly works,
somehow the directory order used is not correct, and the build fails
after a while. Here it tries to build
quanta/components/debugger/libdebuggermanager.la before
quanta/components/debugger/interfaces/libdebuggerinterface.la and this
fails. Better than before, but still not 100% correct. It is not a
regression, so I don't ask to fix now. ;-)

Running the executable when only the active target is used and main
program is disabled works now.

I also noticed other errors with this kind of project setup:
1) building a subdirectory (right click in the automake manager )
doesn't work, I get the
"/data/development/build/kde-3.5/kdewebdev
There is no Makefile in this directory
and no configure script for this project.
Run automake & friends and configure first?"

error. You know, there is a Makefile there. ;-)

2) Same for install.

3) I have a custom make command to install used to avoid the password
dialog. Running that for a subdir gives me the error:

cd '/data/development/build/kde-3.5/kdewebdev/scripts' && UNSERMAKE="no"
WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5="1" WANT_AUTOMAKE_1_6="1" sudo makeobj install
/bin/sh: line 0: cd: /data/development/build/kde-3.5/kdewebdev/scripts:
No such file or directory

See the missing "quanta" directory between kdewebdev and scripts.

These errors were probably there in older KDevelop versions as well, but
would be nice to see them fixed. Probably the problem is the same as it
was for executing the active target when no main program was defined.

Andras