Make target settings are behavior incompatible

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Jan 7 20:31:02 UTC 2007

On Sun Jan 7 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Sorry, we can't fix that. Except you could use a path relative to
> your project, not the source dir. The prolem here is "guessing", the
> AM now uses builddir+(projectdir-sourcedir)+relativepath. (the
> difference means the relative path between project dir and sourcedir,
> i.e "quanta" in your case). Before it was builddir+relativepath and
> that could break too.

When can builddir+relativepath be broken?

> Thats not fixable by us, I think. I didn't look at the code, but this
> should be using the order that is set via the Makefile.am
> dependecies.

Obviosuly the rules are correct there, otherwise the project wouldn't
build. The problem seems to be
AutoProjectPart::queueInternalLibDependenciesBuild which checks the
dependencies for the target, but doesn't check recursively the
dependencies for those dependencies.
In this case the "quanta" target depends on various convenience
libraries, including libdebuggermanager.la. In the Makefile.am this is
described as
quanta_LDADD = [...]
	$(top_builddir)/quanta/components/debugger/libdebuggermanager.la \
[...]

But libdebuggermanager.la has itself another dependency:
libdebuggermanager_la_LIBADD = interfaces/libdebuggerinterface.la

This is ignored.

I fear that this problem is not specific to the quanta project itself
and can happen in other cases as well.

> Hmm, should be fixed later today, I'm working on it right now.
Great, thanks.

Andras