If you're not working on KDevelop 4, you should be

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Feb 18 11:21:17 UTC 2007

On 17.02.07 23:24:20, Matt Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know how many people here follow the kde-core-devel mailing list, but
> they've announced what would appear to be the last developmental snapshot of
> trunk, which is currently scheduled for release on the 19th.
>
> After that, they say the next release will be alpha 1!!!!

So what? KDevelop starts, can open multiple projects and can edit files,
already. The only thing that currently really is "in the air" is
language support. Jakob is one of the candidates, but IIRC he will have
heavy work in university starting in march. I'm not sure about other
candidates, except maybe you. I will be diving into language support
after I defended my diploma thesis on march 15th, if nobody else stepped
up til then. But I will need quite some time for that to understand
everything.

> What this means is that if you're not working on kdevelop trunk and you're
> still stuck in the 3.4 branch, you're working in the wrong place. :)

Personally I take a small break on the 3.4 branch because I like to see
results from my development efforts and thats hardly possible in 4.0.

However all I have on my todo list for 3 are 2 things: a) fix the
svn-bug committing selected files with multiple commits, b) do a few
improvements on custom so it works better for KDE4 development. I expect
to finish that around the first march weekend. (i.e. in two weeks). From
then on, I'm 100% 4.0 hacker.

Apart from that, there hasn't been a real timeline set for the alpha1.
Its not like they do snapshot tomorrow and alpha1 in 2 weeks. I think
its more like 3 months or so and if the discussion arises on k-c-d, I
will certainly make everybody aware of the good/bad shape that kdev4 is
at that time.

You will pay for your sins.  If you have already paid, please disregard
this message.