[Patch] Window history

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 08:24:16 UTC 2007

On 2/13/07, Paulo Moura Guedes <moura at kdewebdev.org> wrote:
> Navigation history seems a little broken here. And it doesn't remember
> switches via tabwidget IIRC.

I reacted to "and".. Navigation history only tracks calls through
PartController::editDocument(). The reason is KMDI* - there was no
other approach that had any chance of working while we were still
carrying that monstrosity. Now that we're finally rid of it, we could
try to fix this. Is there any other breakage in Navigation history?
I'm not aware of any.

Btw, there is at least one document change scenario left that doesn't
come with a tabwidget change: changing between documents open in a C++
header/source split view. (This is a very annoying special case - you
can turn it on in project settings -> C++ - > Navigation.) Your patch
doesn't handle this. I'm not sure it's even a good idea to try.. the
resulting code will be a mess. :(

It does handle regular split views, right? I realize now I didn't test that..

> Window menu is also a different navigation method (sorted alphabetically). The
> file list is duplicated stuff IMHO. There is someone using that? Quick Open
> is very cool and something unique when looking at other IDEs.

I'm happy to remove the Window menu. It's more or less useless and
doesn't scale. The FileList does and can be interacted with (it
exposes FileContext so any action hooked onto that will be available)
and navigated by keyboard.

> I can't answer for the users but this is a navigation method that doesn't
> exist yet in KDevelop (no duplication)

That's technically correct, but the differences are somewhat subtle.

Speaking of subtle.. I think your Next action does what I expect it
to, but I couldn't really understand what Previous did, or why it's
needed. Care to educate me? :)

Note that I'm not against the patch, I'm just not completely
convinced. I would still want to hear from _someone_ else who have
actually tested the patch. Anyone? :)

// jens

*Matt: I'm still allowed to mention it on the ml, right? ;)