KDE/kdevelop/languages/cpp

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 8 02:03:03 UTC 2007

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 07.12.07 15:31:42, David Nolden wrote:
>> The color-clutter isn't that bad, because only local variables are
>> highlighted. Imo that highlighting does make sense, it makes the code more
>> readable. I like it, and not just because I've written it, in the beginning
>> it was just an experiment. :) The important thing is just that the colors are
>> not too disturbing, that's why they are hand chosen.

IMO, I think I'd prefer only the selected variable being highlighted.
This is obviously far less complex, and could also work with global
variables.

> Ok, then we need a way to make sure we choose proper colors for the
> current color scheme, which means either configurability (and I agree
> that gets overly complicated for more than a handful), or automatic
> choosing of colors from a color-range, with checking wether a given
> color has enough contrast from the background color.

KColorUtils::contrastRatio IIRC. There is also KCU::tint which may be
useful.

> Leaves the question: How do we get notified about color scheme changes
> and is the text-area background color dictated by kate or the kde color
> scheme??

Um... neither? If you are using kate (is the KTE back-end not going to
be selectable?), then kate dictates the colors. In theory, katepart
itself should (potentially) be sensitive to the system palette changing,
i.e. it should be, if the system colors have not been overridden by the
user. Currently this works very poorly, however (mostly you get one
chance to pick up the system palette and then you're stuck with whatever
you got that one time).

> Matthew should know the answer to both of these, lets wait for him to
> come back (AFAIK he has no spare time until next week).

Heh. I've got about 30 minutes now... I'm trying to catch up on e-mail :-).

--
Matthew
"What is a release plan, anyway?" -- Oswald Buddenhagen