UI questions

Alexander Dymo dymo at ukrpost.ua
Fri Dec 7 19:14:41 UTC 2007

On Friday 07 December 2007 19:22, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> 3. Can we have some notion of "perspectives". I think that auto-hiding
> 4. Can we have those perspectives work for multiple windows? Say, so that
> when I start debugging, a second window of kdevelop starts showing debug
> views.
> 5. Can I have random content in the middle of the window? If debugging at
Yes, yes and yes. These all things you ask for is exactly what sublime library
does. But, there's a problem... I know all that is possible in theory but I
don't remember whether I debugged all bugs and provided all necessary
interfaces to the functionality. Also I've tested the new ideal mode only
once. It seemed to work fine with the "new window" functionality so I suspect
it's about a week of work to bring us the stuff you've asked.

3. "perspective" == "area" in KDevelop. You can create new areas or clone
existing. For instance, "new window" action clones current area and shows all
its toolviews/views in the new window.
What we don't have is the support for plugin-definable areas. I think debugger
plugin can decide that it will need its own area and specify which views
should be visible by default there.
Even now the user can add new views to any area (it's view->add toolview iirc)
but the configuration is not yet saved to disk.

4. Areas in KDevelop may be shown in current mainwindow or (by default) in new
mainwindow. That's not a problem.

5. Sublime doesn't care whether you add editors or other views into the
central widget. IIRC it's only KDevelop's shell classes which don't provide
the necessary interfaces. It should be noted that non-kpart views aren't well
tested yet.

PS: I think I'll can actively work on this only after new year and before
Christmas (orthodoxal one) so feel free to fix/implement anything you need
earlier ;)