UI questions

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Dec 7 19:56:40 UTC 2007

On 07.12.07 20:22:37, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> I have several question about KDevelop4 interface as applies to
> debugger:
>
> 1. Can user move tool views

See, that happens when you don't follow this list :P

> -- say, somebody might not like variables view on the left, and want
> it on the bottom.  Is this possible.

Sooner or later yes, hopefully including drag'n'drop.

> 2. Is there any way to group tool views. Say, I want that by default,
> there's "Debug" tab on the bottom that has both stack frame and
> variables. The user should be able to drag "Variables" away to
> a separate tab, and then drag it back, if so desired.

No, and I don't see the reason. You've got the toolview buttons. There
is support planned to have two toolviews in the same area open at the
same time, i.e. you could have the GDB+Framestack toolview sitting side
by side on the bottom.

> 3. Can we have some notion of "perspectives".

AFAIK at least 50% implemented, try creating a new mainwindow - thats
your new perspective.

> 4. Can we have those perspectives work for multiple windows? Say, so that
> when I start debugging, a second window of kdevelop starts showing debug views.

See above, thats the default today. AFAIK there's no working support yet
for switching perspective within the same mainwindow.

> 5. Can I have random content in the middle of the window?

What does that have to do with Ui? ;)

In theory yes, but you need to provide your own document implementation
and unfortunately also a url. I was thinking about changing the latter,
so that the documentController allows to open a document directly by
giving a IDocument instance.

The first part is already implemented for the designer intergration.

> If somebody's working on any of this, it would be great. If no -- I'll add
> this to my todo ;-)

Hamish started on the ideal stuff and that got carried away with the
debug/run stuff.

You will be called upon to help a friend in trouble.