KDE/kdevelop [POSSIBLY UNSAFE]

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Apr 23 19:23:52 UTC 2007

On 23.04.07 21:01:24, David Nolden wrote:
> On Monday 23 April 2007 20:08:20 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 23.04.07 19:33:44, David Nolden wrote:
> > Then why can't this be a client lib + server app based on that library.
> > Both outside kdevplatform? This would give other apps the possiblity to
> > benefit from the code and for now only the teamwork plugin would have
> > the dependecy.
>
> It is a client lib + server app(in lib/network).

Which makes it not usable for other applications that don't want to
build on kdevplatform.

> > Well, unless we find someone who's interested in the code you just added
> > to trunk/ I doubt this will happen. Its not really small...
>
> What does that have to do with the size of the code? A lot of functionality
> needs a lot of code.. noone would have to look at that code to use the
> functionality.

It needs to be maintained, we need to be able to fix problems without
breaking binary compatibility. And first and foremost somebody needs to
either make it optional or port it to Qt at least partly (because as it
seems building common-c++ on Windows is a PITA with something other than
msvc and MacOS is not even mentioned).

> Writing a plugin that uses the teamwork-framework to communicate with a remote
> host would be extremely simple and comfortable, all needed would be creating
> an own message-type, and passing that to a not yet existing
> teamwork-interface, along with a user the message should be sent to. Then on
> the other side the same type of plugin would get notified of the message and
> process it. Noone says that someone should implement a plugin using it for
> kdevelop-4.0..

This part sounds what should go into kdevplatform, i.e. the interface
and eventually some code that it needs along with a dependecy on the
client lib.

> Anyway, since I don't like discussing around that now and don't think it's all
> that important, I'll move all dependencies into the teamwork-folder.

Would you also please make the plugin optional?

Also note: I'm not the only developer here, just the one answering first
;)

Don't get stuck in a closet -- wear yourself out.