Getting the current active project

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Apr 2 17:09:29 UTC 2007

On 02.04.07 11:14:10, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Saturday 31 March 2007 08:39, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > We should. This was discussed before and we all agreed that we should
> > > make the platform use only KUrl's and thus support remote projects.
> >
> > Hmm, currently we don't because KConfig doesn't support reading from
> > remote urls. I have currently no idea how we could make this work,
> > except by copying the project file to the remote location after project
> > closing.
>
> Download the project file to the KDE temporary storage and read it from there.
> This was why KIO was used to load the project file. If KIO is not used
> anymore, that change needs to be reverted.

Well, we can easily make sure we upload/download the file upon
reading/writing the configuration, when done via the project
configuration dialog. However its a bit harder to do this for "external"
reads, i.e. when the plugin actually needs the value. I'll look into
re-adding this at least for reading/writing. However committing will
have to wait until the KUrl problem in kdelibs is resolved.

Andreas

> > Don't get me wrong, I'm not fighting a war against bringing back
> > currentProject, but I'd like to have some real good reasons to do so.
>
> We need project wide actions for a specific project in our workspace (think
> search and replace over the whole project). We need to bring back
> currentProject.

As I already said we could have something like this in our menu:
Projects
A --> Build, Configure, Bootstrap, Find, Replace

However this will get pretty nasty pretty quick. So I'm currently
thinking we may introduce a way to find the "currently selected project"
and thus provide menu items/actions/whatever that
a) work on the selected projects
b) provide a dialog with the list of projects to select on which to
work

Of course this means, that as soon as 1 project is selected we won't get
the dialog anymore (if we would, we could skipt a) and just pre-select
the selected project), but the use would have to select multiple
projects himself if he wants to execute the action on multiple projects.

Does that sound sane?

You will give someone a piece of your mind, which you can ill afford.