branches/kdevelop/3.4/src

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at swipnet.se
Sat Sep 16 00:03:28 UTC 2006

On Friday 15 September 2006 22:27, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 14. September 2006 20:14 schrieb David Nolden:
> > Seems to be working good.
> >
> > greetings, David
>
> Is anyone else experiencing the problem that this patch causes kdevelop to
> get slower and slower, and hog 100% CPU-Time after some time? I first
> thought it was something with my navigation-menu, but after some debugging
> and disabling this patch, the behavior stopped.
> When I was debugging I saw that Qt spent all the CPU-Time while walking
> through some internal lists, dispatching timer-events or something.
>
> Maybe something calls setLineNumber way too often.. or a Qt-bug?

Since the patch actually goes in a "loop" until it has managed to set the line
number, I would be surprised if it isn't possible to get it to misbehave.

I haven't been able to make it cause any noticeable slowdowns, but it didn't
take long to come up with a usecase that makes it crash KDevelop. (While it
is looping, unload one of the documents it is trying to set the cursor on.)

Other issues:
We have a method called "setLineNumber" - where would you expect the cursor to
be after this call? Clearly unexpected behaviour.
Also, since the problem is actually the setCursorPositionReal() call and we
use that directly elsewhere in the code we would have to come up with a
solution here as well.

What is the fix in the Kate code, btw? If it's this "loop fix" there as well I
think this is really dangerous.

A third party extension to Qt is making katepart crash, which makes KDevelop
crash. Trying to paper over this in KDevelop is the wrong fix. It stinks that
this bug has been around for 2 years now, but I don't think that is a good
enough reason to introduce problems and bugs (which this patch does, even if
it also helps) where it isn't needed. (Don't have the XIM patch? Don't need
the fix, dont' want the bugs.)

I wish I could offer a solution though. Is anyone up to fixing the XIM
patch? :(

// jens